Steak & Veggie Stir-fry
1 fair-to-middlin sized zucchini, washed well (not peeled)
1/2 lg onion, sliced thin (not paper thin though)
1 Tbs. butter
1 cheapo steak, cut into 1/2 inch or smaller strips (I used bottom round)
tomatoes – 1 lrg fresh tomato or more if you really like tomatoes :)
pasta of your choice – I used spaghetti because I was out of angel hair
So, I had some leftover oven roasted tomatoes I’d made earlier this week so I used those but you could use some nice fresh ones too. Also, if you use fresh, throw in a clove or 4 of garlic, sliced thin.
- 1. Melt butter in skillet. Toss in onions and let them begin to sweat while you’re slicing the zucchini into the pan as well. Cover and let them steam/sweat for a few minutes. Do not slice the zucchini TOO thin or it’ll fall apart, and this dish is much better when you can bite INTO the zucchini.
- 2. While the veggies are cooking, slice up your steak. Also, put on a pot of water to boil for your pasta.
- When veggies are tender (don’t let them get mushy), remove from skillet to a plate. Add pasta to boiling water.
- 3. Place steak strips in same pan, and sprinkle with your garlic salt or other seasoning of choice. I used McCormick’s Pepper & onion seasoning. It’s my new favorite :)
- 4. Simmer steak strips, turning once and being careful not to overcook. Once pasta is cooked, add veggies back to pan, then add drained pasta to skillet as well – toss gently and serve.
You might also sprinkle some parmesan over the top if you are so inclined. As well, some nice bread would finish this off perfectly!
I’ve also enjoyed this with chicken instead of beef. As well, I’ve enjoyed it without meat – but I prefer meat in everything!