Sunday, May 10, 2009

Homemade Chicken & Dumplings

 

In the past, I’ve made chicken & dumplings, but it was a kind of cheater’s way – using canned cream of chicken soup, etc.  Today, for some reason, I woke up with the idea in my head to make chicken stew.  Once I started that, I thought wait… why not put dumplings on it! 

  • 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
  • 6 cups of chicken broth
  • 3 carrots, cut into 1/2” chunks
  • 2 cups frozen green beans
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/4 cup dehydrated onions (because I can’t eat normal onions anymore :< )

Bring chicken broth to a low boil.  Add frozen vegetables and onion.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Add chunks of chicken.  Continue to simmer for about 30 minutes.

Add 1/4” cup of your favorite thickening agent (corn starch, flour, etc.)) and water – Whisk well, and add to chicken soup.  Stir while it thickens.

Open can of crescent rolls.  do not unroll.  Cut them into 1/4” discs.   Please crescent rounds evenly across the surface of chicken mixture.  Continue cooking on a low light for 10 –15 minutes, or until  dumplings are cooked through. 

No comments: