Baked, Stuffed Tomatoes
Preheat oven to 400f.
8 tomatoes. I used on-the-vine tomatoes, because they're bigger and cheaper at this time of year.
1 cup couscous
1/4 c. (or more) feta cheese
1/2 onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 T. olive oil
1 T. unsalted butter
1 c. water or broth
- Cut the core from the tomato, and then using a spoon, remove the juice and pulp from them. I wasn't REALLY precise, but the more you leave it, the soggier your couscous will get.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic- saute' until they're soft.
- Add dry couscous. The couscous will absorb the butter/oil mixture. Toast the couscous for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, a little at a time, and allow the couscous to cook - probably 5 minutes or so - just until the water is fully absorbed. I typically use chicken broth to cook couscous, but I used plain water this time. When it was finished, I sprinkled it with garlic salt. Remove from heat.
- When you're ready to stuff the tomatoes, toss the feta with the couscous. You don't want the cheese to melt in the pan, so let the pan sit for a couple of minutes to cool. Add the feta and gently toss with the couscous.
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop as I did, stuff the tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes in a baking dish - I lined mine with fresh spinach, but they wound up drying out. lol
- Bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
PS - I apologize for the poor quality of the photos - my camera phone just isn't up to the task!