Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vegetable Quiche (no milk)

One afternoon, I wanted to experiment with quiche. I'd never made one and I love to eat them. But the ones in the frozen foods section of the market are loaded with stuff I don't need, like fat and fat and more fat.  So I decided to try one on my own.  The results were AMAZING!

yum!
Dawn's Veggie Quiche


  • 5 eggs, scrambled
  • 1 frozen pie crust
  • 3/4 lb. fresh spinach
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced or crushed
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 cup julienned zucchini strips
  • 1/4 c. light vanilla soy milk

First, I heated the oil up in a skillet and sauteed the garlic. Once it began to get fragrant, I added the spinach and tossed until it wilted, gradually adding it all.

In a mixing bowl, I scrambled the eggs, added about 1-1/2 handfuls of a mexican cheese blend (but you could really use any cheese), the zucchini and finally the spinach.  I blended everything together with a fork, then poured it into the pie crust.

I put this on a baking sheet and put it in a preheated 375 oven.  I cooked it for 45 minutes.  I let it cool for 10 minutes.  My kids absolutely LOVED it, as did I.


According to the info on sparkrecipes.com, after I entered in the recipe, this is what this recipe contains:

Amount Per Serving
  Calories174.7
  Total Fat12.1 g
     Saturated Fat4.1 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat1.4 g
     Monounsaturated Fat5.0 g
  Cholesterol121.9 mg
  Sodium207.9 mg
  Potassium173.7 mg
  Total Carbohydrate9.9 g
     Dietary Fiber0.7 g
     Sugars2.2 g
  Protein6.7 g


So then I compared that to Trader Joe's spinach quiche  here, and wow.  I think mine was a LOT healthier.  Next time, I'd like to add tomato, maybe substitute some of the eggs for eggbeaters, not sure.  But it was awesome!

Want some?

No comments: