Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Kitchen Sink Soup

This is a recipe I made up on my own. It really was very tasty!

Kitchen Sink Soup
By Dawn

  • 1 c carrots, sliced
  • 1 c celery, sliced
  • 1 c yellow snap beans (wax beans)
  • 1 c frozen spinach
  • 2 c yellow summer squash sliced
  • 1 lg onion (1 cup)
  • 2 c chopped chicken (see below)
  • 1/2 c green onions, sliced
  • 1 Tbs garlic chives, chopped
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 2 tsp chicken soup base
  • 1 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
While I was chopping the veggies, I placed 4 chicken quarters (the leg and thigh section) that had been picked on for dinner the other night in about 7 cups of water and set it to boil. To that, I added the tops of the inside sections of celery (the leafy portion), the top portion of a fresh onion (what most consider green onions), and salt & pepper. That boiled the whole time I chopped veggies, about 45 minutes or so.

After the veggies were chopped, I poured the chicken and broth into a strainer that was placed in a bowl. The bowl caught the broth, and then I placed the chopped veggies (all except the yellow squash and onion) into the pot, along with about a tablespoon of olive oil.

The yellow squash and onion went on a lightly oiled cookie sheet in a 425 ° oven for 25 minutes.

I sauteed the veggies in the pot for a while, while picking the chicken off the bones.

Finally, I put the broth, chicken and roasted vegetables into the pot and brought it back to a boil. To this, I added the rosemary, chicken base and garlic salt.

I cooked this for about 10 minutes (the time it took to wash the dishes I'd dirtied during this time), and then turned it off. I left it off until we ate lunch, about 40 minutes.

Later, I'll reheat it for a few minutes, and serve it again, but with a salad, for dinner!

I figured out the nutritional info and it fell as such:

Per serving, which I'm figuring is about 1 cup of soup.
Cal 129; Fat 22; Cholesterol 42; Sodium 239; Potassium 492; Carbs 8; fiber 3.5; protein 14.5

ENJOY!

No comments: