I hate it when I make something that I don’t realize is going to be AWESOME, so I don’t bother taking pictures for the blog. LOL This turned out to be the case last night when I decided to make tilapia croquettes for dinner. I didn’t have the time nor energy to come up the stairs to print out the recipe, but I was pretty sure I remembered it. Mostly. So I set out to eek out dinner despite having a really lousy day, and it turned in to a delicious dinner for everyone, which, in turn, helped make my day better.
1 lb tilapia filets
1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs
1/2 c. Italian flavored breadcrumbs
2 eggs, scrambled
1/2 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbs. butter
1/4 c. white wine
2 Tbsp. sweet relish
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in skillet and add 1 Tbsp. oil.
- Sauté onion and celery until onion is translucent.
- Add fish filets and cook over medium-low heat.
- Once fish is cooked through, break it up into chunks and add white wine.
- Turn heat to low and allow wine to reduce.
- While the fish is cooking, beat the egg in a bowl.
- Add relish and lime juice to egg.
- In separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, salt, pepper & red pepper flakes.
- Fold wet & dry ingredients together and add fish, turning gently. You don’t want to shred the fish.
- Heat remaining oil & butter in skillet.
- Press approx. 1/3 cup of breading and mixture into patties. Mine made 8 or 9.
- Cook in small batches until brown.