Thursday, January 19, 2006

Tomato & Shredded Cabbage Soup






I made this soup today with my kids and it turned out excellent. So excellent in fact that my son- Mr. Bologna Sandwich, even wanted to eat it. With CABBAGE. Gasp!

Here's the original recipe:

Tomato & Shredded Cabbage Soup
(From Healthy Living Magazine)
  • 1 Tbs. ex-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 8oz bag shredded cabbage & carrots
  • 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes, no salt, drained
  • 4 c. fat-free, reduced-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. honey
  • salt & fresh black pepper to taste
  • cayenne pepper, to taste, optional
In a soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until onion begins to brown lightly, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and continue to saute another minute. Add cabbage, carrots and tomatoes. Saute for 3 more minutes. Add broth and cumin. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and honey. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayeene pepper, if using.

Per Serving: 70 calories, 3g protein, 10g carb, 2g fiber, 3g total fat (2g mono), 104 mg. sodium. Vitamin A, C, B3, Folate.

So my substitutions were:

I didn't have vegetable broth, so I used this:



0 carbs, which is all that really counted for me lol

So anyways, I tried it when it was finished simmering, etc. and it was really good. This is also when my son tried it and liked it. But I'd been told about adding some ground beef on a low carb recipe list I'm on, so I decided to try that. I put about 1/2 lb of ground beef in and it was even better! I finished it by shredding just a bit of fresh parmesan cheese over the top and voila! Yum!

1 comment:

Katryoshka said...

Yum, yum! I had almost given up hope for a none diet cabbage soup receipe, who thought Cabbage soup could taste this good?! Even my 'blend everything within an inch of its life' son likes it,

Many thanks for posting

Katharina Stubbs

http://katryoshkaramblings.blogspot.com/